The Loyd Lindsay Rooms Ardington Nr .Wantage Oxfordshire
The Loyd Lindsay Rooms was commissioned by Lady Wantage in memory of her husband. Built in 1903 the timbered building formed one of the focal parts of a visionary scheme to create a perfectly formed, self-sufficient village.
Loyd Lindsay was the name taken by Harriet Loyd, the heiress to the Lockinge Estate, and her husband Robert Lindsay when they married in 1858. Robert James Loyd Lindsay, 1st Baron Wantage, VC< KCB, FRS, was born in 1832 and died in 1901. He was one of the first to win the Victoria Cross, the highest award for gallantry by a member of the British Forces, and one of only a few to receive the award twice – for his actions in the battles of Alma and Inkerman. Later he became an MP and benefactor to Wantage. He was also one of the founders of the British Red Cross Society. His charity role attracted the patronage of Queen Victoria, and he was known as a distinguished philanthropist and luminary of Victorian society.
The distinctive looking building has an impressive main hall with a high ceiling (now hidden as a suspended ceiling has been built to hide the heating & air con equipment) – a separate Dining Room and a small meeting room at the back of the building. When first built it was originally used by the villagers for social activities. The small room at the back of the building was originally the boiler room and housed two public baths – not for swimming.
These could be used by the Estate Workers for a small cost to have a weekly bath!